Our town was originally named for Osceola, an influential Creek-Seminole leader. Osceola was born in 1803 on the Tallapoosa River in Georgia, then a part of the Creek Indian territory and led the Seminole Indians in Florida during the Second Seminole War in 1835.
By the late 1790s, this area of Georgia was inhabited mainly by revolutionary soldiers in who had received land for their services. In June of 1890, the railroad drew a map of Osceola, listing it as a square town, with the railroad located in the center. In 1892, Osceola was renamed when it was discovered that another town in Terrell County, GA had the same name. The name “Bogart” was selected to honor a respected local railroad agent.
The City of Bogart was officially incorporated in 1905. Bogart became a thriving small town with many businesses including a bank, mercantile store, drug store, boarding house, railroad depot, blacksmith shops, three cotton gins, a post office, gristmills, and a school at the Baptist Church. The city was once a part of Franklin County, then Jackson, and now Oconee, with a small portion in Clarke County.
Bogart today has positioned itself for growth with aggressive projects for downtown sewer, streetscapes and the Bogart Sports & Recreation Complex. There are several community wide events that take place each year that encourage citizens to get involved with their city.
Bogart’s Mission Statement
“Believe in Bogart” is our heartfelt motto, and we promote our City by providing it’s citizens with excellence in all services.
Our Leadership Team is committed to be fiscally responsible; to work in tandem with our County and neighboring governments; and always demonstrate integrity and respect in carrying out our shared responsibilities. We will strive to behave in a manner that reflects the above values with being accountable to our citizens whom we serve and to each other in promoting a team spirit for the betterment of our city.